What is the Bellyanna?
The Bellyanna is a new twist on the hafla. At this time of year, some participate in a Pollyanna gift giving. The Bellyanna uses that idea, with performance music.
In the spirit of gift giving, the dancers of the Bellyanna plan to give the gift of their favorite dance tune to another dancer to perform, while giving back to the community. All the music CD's will be wrapped as gifts. Each dancer has chosen music, but that is not the "gift" that they may choose. The order of choosing music depends on the order of performance. Also, there is stealing. More details below.
Also, in the spirit of giving, the proceeds from the Bellyanna go to support a location charity or organization. In the past we have supported:
How does it work for the audience?
For audience members, this hafla will be similar to other dance events. Just know that most of the dancers are improvising, since they do not know which song they will perform to until the day of.
- Please bring a snack to share (there are food stores and restaurants nearby if you want to buy something once you arrive)
- There is also a refrigerator if you need to keep any items cold
- Also bring some $ to donate to the local charity. Suggested donation is $5, but we appreciate as little or as much as you can donate.
- Links will be posted if you want to donate to the charity directly, or donate even if you cannot attend.
- As with other Hafla events, we may have 1 half or 2 halves. But we will definitely have a time for open drum and dance.
How does it work for dancers?
Dancers should come prepared to perform. Bring a song, or 2 , to perform to. You might dance to your own music, but you could also choose someone else's music. You may use any prop you like (just not live animals or live fire).
- Bring a snack to share.
- Pick music that is 3 - 5 minutes per song.
- Burn each song on a separate CD. Label that CD with title and recording artist.
- How long do you want to dance?
- Only want to perform for 3 - 5 minutes? Just bring one CD of that length.
- If you want to perform for 6 - 10 minutes. bring 2 CD's with one song on each. You will pick 2.
- If you want to perform for 9 - 15 minutes, bring 3 CD's, with one song on each. You will pick 3.
- The first dancer gets to pick last.
- The last dancer has to pick first.
- The last dancer has to choose a wrapped CD, and unwrap it and share.
- Then the second to last dancer gets to choose. He/She can steal the last dancers music, or pick CD to unwrap.
- Each following dancers chooses either to steal from an opened CD, or pick a new one to unwrap.
- A CD can be stolen unlimited times.
- If your CD is stolen, you can pick a new one or steal from someone else.
- You just can't steal back what was just taken from you.
- So in the end, you may have your own music. But hopefully we will all be improvising to music we did not bring
- The only limit on music is make sure any lyrics are family friendly.